July Talking Points
- Maintain the 4.75 millage – the 25.6% increase in the last two years was too much. It is time to pause.
- Look first to PBSO for additional cuts – PBSO spending growth has been excessive while county departments have been more restrained.
- Take action to reduce the inventory of county property and reduce the debt – We are awaiting some specific proposals from Florida TaxWatch in this area, and staff has offered some candidates for disposition.
- Utilize undesignated reserves to fill a one-time budget hole – use a small amount of reserves to avoid a tax rate increase.
Talking points for an email or when speaking to the County Commission on Monday July 11th sometime after 9:30am:
Make sure you give your name, city, say that you belong to XXXXX, a coalition partner of TAB (eg southflorida912, teaparty, Republican Club, organization, city, etc). Say that you support the four above points of the TAB proposal. And personalize your statement.
Whether in an email or at the Commission Meeting – talk about the impact the economy, inflation and tax rate increases have had on you over the last 3 years. Talk about how you’ve had to manage your own finances. Point out that ‘pennies a day’ as Commissioner Aaronson is fond of saying – are your pennies, etc. Use your own words and speak with passion. Those asking for money will be passionate and organized. You are, and are representing The Tax Payer!
- If you can’t make the meeting, please send an email before Monday to the commissioners (this email will go to all commissioners and appropriate staff:
- Arrive at around 9:30 or well before 10am. While Public Comment doesn’t seem to be time certain, it will be limited to the morning session.
- Fill out a card and make sure that you check the box that says ‘I wish to speak’
- You cannot submit a card on behalf of someone else or for someone who is not there.
- Once public comment begins, you will not be able to submit a card.
- Write out what you want to say and time it – have two versions – one that will fit in the allotted 3 minutes, and a shorter one that can fit in 2 minutes. If cut even further – then just state your name, organization and say that you support the TAB proposal.